Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Stride Rite Gum - The Paper is Not Edible!

Oh, the lessons we learn as young people. How is it that when we are young and vulnerable, our "friends" can lead us astray? Is it intentional? Is is because they too have been mislead? I can remember being a youngin' myself and all the times girls especially would try to sabotage me or other friends so that they felt in control and looked better than the crowd. It's one thing to go through it yourself and come through the other end OK - It's another to see that it's starting to happen to your own little kids. Luckily this is a small thing... but it feels like foreshadowing of things to come. My 10 year old just came to me proud and confident- chomping (uncharacteristically) on a piece of gum. She said, "It's Stride Rite, you can eat the paper!" Two girls in school were showing off and convinced her and many others that you can eat the paper while chewing the gum. In fairness to the girls, I don't know if they too were snowed by another peer, or if they were pulling a mean-spirited prank. Regardless, I told my daughter to "google" the predicament online and find out if it were true or not. Sure enough, she came back to me (chewing with a lot less luster) and confessed that she had been dooped. I tried to set her at ease and explained that she can't believe everything she hears. Hmmm... I remember my parents famous line "If your friends jump off a bridge, will you?" I guess some things never change! I pray that as these moments intensify, God will give me the wisdom to turn them into teachable moments. SIDE NOTE: As I was typing this, my 4 year old came to me with her sisters $5 bill (which was hidden in "The Golden Egg" on Sunday) and explained that she should get to keep the $5 because she 'looked' in the right spot two times but didn't see it, so really she found it first! Oh, if only life were that simple, little one!!!

1 comment:

Carol said...

Lori,

If you want to add some cool stuff to your blog, you go to customize and hit the "HTML add" button and you can put things there. Pam Agler helped me out when I got started. Also, you can hit some things on my blog and it will take you there. For example, the "calendar" or the button at the top left corner of my blog that says where I got the block background from. It's free or go to "Cutest Blog on the Block" and they have tons. Let me know how it goes.

Carol